Chaka Khan & El DeBarge Concert Brings The Good Old Days to The Fox
Chaka Khan & El DeBarge Wow the Crowd at Martin L. Mathews Awards & Concert
Featuring two GRAMMY-recognized artists, on August 17, Mathews-Dickey proudly hosted the Martin L. Mathews Awards Program and Benefit Concert at the Fabulous Fox Theatre featuring two GRAMMY-recognized artists. For sponsors and other V.I.P. guests, the evening began with a silent auction of exotic getaways during a three-course dinner at the famous Fox Club.
The lobby was then opened to all concert attendees where they enjoyed drinks, mingling and the free photbooth. Next, the evening really kicked off the celebration by recognizing the Martin Mathews Awards recipients.
The 2016 Martin L. Mathews Award Winners & Presenters:
- Jack Feivou, CEO of Fox Associates, presents the Arts Advocate of the Year to Show Me Arts’ Marty Casey
- Blues Owner Tom Stillman presents the Jack Buck That’s A Winner Honor Jack Buck Award to Cardinals President Bill DeWitt III.
- Old School 95.5 FM’s Boogie D. presents the Benjamin F. Edwards III Memorial to Tad Edwards. The award is named in memory of Tad’s father.
- Gilbert Bailon, editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, presents Sports Advocate of the Year to Vashon High State Championship Basketball Coach Tony Irons.
- Bank of America St. Louis Market President Jackie Yoon presents the Leadership & Professional Development Advocate of the Year to Jennifer Irvin of BJC.
- 2015 Bill Maritz Memorial Award winner Rev. Starsky Wilson bestows the 2016 honor upon Steve Maritz, CEO of Maritz and son of the late Bill Maritz.
- Green Bronx Machine Founder Stephen Ritz receives the inaugural Martin L. Mathews Award for Nonprofit Leadership from KTVI’s Spencer Koch and Martin L. Mathews.
- Chief Michael Richardson of the St. Louis Fire Department presented the Outstanding Youth Achiever Award to Kira Jones.
- Dr. Donald Suggs of the St. Louis American presented the Scholar-Athlete Honor to Rolando Merriweather, father of Rolando Merriweather, Jr. The award winner was unable to make the ceremony due to having aced the walk-on football team tryouts at college. Congratulations Rolando for making the team!
- Wells Fargo’s Byron Caskey accepts the Ida Goodwin Woolfolk Education Advocate of The Year Award from Board Chair Karl Grice.
- Melissa Logsdon of the Missouri Foundation for Health accepts the Healthy Living Advocate of the Year from St. Louis City Controller Darlene Green.
During the awards ceremony, attendees heard from each award winner in a video as they accepted the awards on stage. Also appearing on the big screen that night was the newly released Blue Chips video highlighting the new strategic direction of Mathews-Dickey. Starring CEO Wendell Covington Jr., current members, and concluding with an alumni and current CEO of a Fortune 500 company, the short film shows the vision and mission to better the St. Louis community and world through building scholar-athletes. To view photographs from the evening visit the Mathews-Dickey Facebook album here.
During a 60-minute set, El DeBarge performed “The Rhythm of The Night” and several other well-recognized songs, giving a show that was a hard act to follow. The crowd stood and sang along as he took them back to the ‘old days’. Afterwards, during a intermission, the crowd participated in a live auction, winning Cardinals tickets and more. Finally, the woman that so many had been waiting for, Chaka Khan herself took the stage and closed the evening with a soulful 90-minute set delivering a wonderful follow-up to El’s strong performance. Men and women alike stood and swayed and sang along to songs such as “I’m Every Woman”, “Sweet Thing” and “Tell Me Something Good”.
The concert was part II of the 1st Annual Family Reunion Weekend. The day before the concert, alumni, family, members and the community enjoyed a selection of food trucks, activities and entertainment at the Food Truck Friday held at the club. Thanks to all who joined us as we celebrated the achievements of our members, volunteers and supporters! We look forward to the 2nd Annual Mathews-Dickey Reunion Weekend!