Green St. Louis Machine Members to be Featured on Stage at National Juice Plus Conference
Come see our kids on the big stage in front of an audience of thousands with an international celebrity teacher!
Steve Ritz, award winning teacher and founder of Green Bronx Machine, which the Green St. Louis Machine has been modeled after will speak at the conference on the opening night. Ritz will speak to a crowd of thousands on Thursday, October 20th from 5: 00 – 7:00 pm. During which, the students who comprise the Green St. Louis Machine will take the stage and be introduced to the crowd. Several members of the group are members of Mathews-Dickey and others students at several local schools.
The members of the garden program have been invited to accompany Ritz in January for an amazing opportunity – attending and showcasing at the New York Times Travel Show! In order to do that, they much first raise $25,000. To support their cause, fill out our Make A Pledge Form and check the Green St. Louis Machine box. You can also attend the conference in support.
The Juice Plus event is free to attend.
The Mathews-Dickey Boys’ & Girls’ Club has mobilized St. Louis Youth to create a program focusing on nutrition. Inspired by the work of Stephen Ritz we call the program The Green St. Louis Machine (GSM). The program:
· Grows and fosters a healthier community.
· Addresses the high rates of food insecurity, childhood obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
· Operates at six sites in St. Louis and is looking to expand!
· Re-engages students by giving them a sense of responsibility and belonging.
· Engages students in tending the tower garden that and allows them to see how their role is important.
· Teaches students how to plant, grow and harvest their own food. The students are educated about healthy eating and are more inclined to make healthier choices for the rest of their life.
· Among gardeners, the number of students who enjoyed eating fruits and vegetables increased to 83% from 48%.
*update: You can learn more and see pictures from the evening here.